First off, sending all those affected by Hurricane Irma our best wishes. To uplift our reader’s spirits, here are ten inspirational quotes and how they may relate to our careers, our aspirations, and our lives.
1. “Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you.” – Oprah Winfrey
Some look at entrepreneurs and think they’re crazy. They wonder, “How in the world is he/she constantly working and getting little to no sleep? How is this person able to travel so often and show up with the most energy in the room?” When you believe in something and want it badly, that alone is the fuel to keep you energized. Reminding yourself of that is the equivalent of you pumping that fuel.
2. “If you want to see the true measure of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” – J. K. Rowling
No one favors a self consumed person. The leaders that work as a team, and allow their staff to have an input are most successful. The myriad of ideas that stem from each unique individual creates a variety of culture to the brand, and those hired for their strengths excel more when they feel they have the creative space to. This statement is not only important when it comes to staff, but when it comes to interacting with potential clients too. Sincere, humble individuals are a delight to be around and to work with.
3. “Never take no personally. Sometimes people tell you no for a reason that has nothing to do with you. You must keep going.” – Sofia Vergara
This can apply to job searching, personal life, potential partners, and potential clients. The trick of not getting discouraged is crucial. Self confidence and confidence in your product is enough to keep you going, regardless of what is going on around you.
4. “We need to accept that we won’t always make the right decisions, that we’ll screw up royally sometimes – understanding that failure is not the opposite of success, it’s part of success.” – Arianna Huffington
There are endless quotes surrounding failure. This one states failure is not the opposite of success, nor does it state that it is its equivalent. Failure is a stepping stone to success. It teaches you and guides you because the pain of failure remains in your memory.
5. “I’m hungry for knowledge. The whole thing is to learn every day, to get brighter and brighter. That’s what this world is about. You look at someone like Gandhi, and he glowed. Martin Luther King glowed. Muhammad Ali glows. I think that’s from being bright all the time, and trying to be brighter.” – Jay Z
Jay Z is describing knowledge as brightness. This is especially powerful because those that hunger for knowledge are likely to succeed. Seeing every day as an opportunity to learn keeps one humble, and is the path to greatness.
6. “Build something 100 people love, not something 1 million people kind of like.” – Brian Chesky
If you’ve ever heard the story of how Airbnb started, you would know this quote to be true. They began by just renting out their own home. People loved the idea so much that others began asking how they can get involved. Now look how many are able to be involved; all because of that one experience that people loved, not just kind of liked.
7. “I never looked at the consequences of missing a big shot… when you think about the consequences you always think of a negative result.” – Michael Jordan
This is a great example of the law of attraction. Thoughts manifest constantly and Michael Jordan is certainly a testament to the power of thoughts. He did great things in his career because of his mindset.
8. “Move fast and break things. Unless you are breaking stuff, you are not moving fast enough.” – Mark Zuckerberg
There aren’t may entrepreneurs because risk is a fear of many. People are afraid to fail. They are so afraid of the temporary struggle and pain that comes with it that they forget about the light at the end of the tunnel.
9. “I was tired and I had overworked myself and burnt myself out. So I went to Egypt by myself. When I saw what was built there, it made me understand how powerful we are, that we can create anything. And I felt like I needed to create things that were timeless too.” – Alicia Keys
Everyone, even greats, are inspired by something. It is important not to get buried in your thoughts and how great you think you can make your product. Go out and explore, gain clarity and inspiration. You’d be surprised what you will find, and how the simplest things can bring inspiration.
10. “When you’re a carpenter making a beautiful chest of drawers, you’re not going to use a piece of plywood on the back, even though it faces the wall and nobody will see it. You’ll know it’s there, so you’re going to use a beautiful piece of wood on the back. For you to sleep well at night, the aesthetic, the quality, has to be carried all the way through.” – Steve Jobs
There are so many amazing Steve Jobs quotes to choose from, but this is one not many share. He is expressing integrity and the pride he possessed for his products. The more care you invest in your product, the more faith you will have, and the more clients you will receive.